Healthy Snacks Recipe: Cocoa Coconut Bananas
This recipe is for if you have a bit of a sweet tooth but don’t want to eat something too bad for you. Since these healthy snacks are so tasty, it’s easy to get carried away, eat too many, and then defeat the purpose of eating a healthy snack in the first place. (Plus, I tend to have too much fun saying the name and end up getting carried away on that, too).
Make sure to use low-fat cocoa and unsweetened coconut. This will help to keep the recipe as healthy as possible. And cocoa powder does have some beneficial healthy properties as well, so don’t feel too guilty. Cocoa is rich in flavanols, antioxidants that are thought to help reduce the risk of heart deduce and high blood pressure. In moderation, these cocoa coconut bananas can actually be heart-safe healthy snacks!
Half of the recipe is 80 calories, 1 gram of fat, and 19 grams of carbohydrates, so sharing with a friend or partner is definitely ideal.
Healthy Snacks’ Cocoa Coconut Bananas
- Peel 1 small to medium banana.
- Slice banana at a rather large angle (see photo for an example).
- Sprinkle about 2 teaspoons of cocoa powder and 2 teaspoons of toasted coconut on separate plates.
- Roll each banana slice in the cocoa powder so that the outside of the slice (but not the top or bottom) is coated in powder. Shake the slice to remove any excess cocoa.
- Dip one face of the banana slice into the toasted coconut.
You can enjoy the cocoa coconut bananas cold, but my favorite method is to put the slices in my toaster oven until the coconut (re-)toasts a bit and the banana begins to caramelize slightly. These taste much more decadent than healthy snacks should.
Tags: bananas, cocoa, coconutHealthy Snack Recipies