Weight Loss Shakes: Help to make or to find the best weight loss shakes for your goal.
How This Site can Help You Choose the Best Weight Loss Shakes:
Diet shakes can be an extremly effective tool in helping you achieve your health and fitness goals. I myself have with great succes been using weight loss shakes, homemade and bought, to lose weight, and I am making this site to help you find your way through the jungle of products, help you interpret the ingridient lists and in the end find the shake diet, that is the absolute best for your way of life and the utmost best for your goal.
One of my best Weight Loss Shake Recipes:
Before I go on, I want to give you the recipe of a homemade weight loss shake, that I love to start with in the morning. It is healthy, it’s easy to make, it tastes wonderful, and it keeps me sated for a looong time:
You need a juicer and a blender. Of course some are better than others, but at least this shake can be made if only you have a common juicer and a handblender.
Take one cucumber, 4 apples or pears, 2 stems of celery, and juice it.
Then blend it with 1 avocado and some spinach leaves.
If you like your shakes a bit spicy, which I do, you can juice it with a piece of ginger og chili.
And – you can add some protein to the shake, but it is absolutely not nessecary.
An overview of the content on this page about diet shakes:
- Weight loss shakes are a very common and popular tool for reducing weight. They can be a great addition to any diet plan because they contain vitamins, minerals, fiber for detoxification, and in some cases, protein as well as other proven fat burning ingredients. They are an ideal way to control portion size and keep track of calories and fat. However, not all weight loss shakes are created equal, and not all are designed for the same purpose.
NOW, AS THIS SITE IS AIMED TO GIVE YOU AN ALL COVERING KNOWLEDGE ABOUT WEIGHT LOSS SHAKES, IT MIGHT BECOME A LITTLE OVERWHELMING. I, AT LEAST, AM A LITTLE OVERWHELMED WHEN I HAVE TO READ ABOUT LABELS, NUTRITION CONTENT, CARBS, PRODUCTS AND THINGS LIKE THAT. It makes me want to grab the first diet shake product I find on the shelves in the supermarket, and that’s that!
I have to tell you that ALL the information on this site is really, really important to help you achieve your goal of weight loss, BUT YOU DON’T HAVE TO READ IT ALL IN THIS FIRST STEP! YOU CAN GO DIRECTLY TO THE SUBJECT YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT, AND THEN LATER READ MORE, IF YOU WANT.
So now read on, or use the linkes below to go DIRECTLY to titles you want to know more about.
- Benefits of weight loss shakes which gives you an overall understanding of how and how much shakes for weight loss can help you lose weight in a way that is suited for you.
- Why not just take any Diet Shake Product?
- How much Protein do I need for Weight Loss?
- Weight Loss Shakes Recipes where you find recipes to make your own, great, healthy shakes.
- Types of Weight Loss Shakes
- Best Diet Shakes, a review of the different, most popular products on the market.
- When it comes to Shakes there are four basic types of Protein most commonly used: Soy, Whey, Milk Concentrate and Casein.
- Consider Your Lifestile and choose the kind of Weight Loss Shake that suits it.
The other titles not mentioned here, those you also will find below, will be great to read – then read again later – and then again when you have had a look at the different types of weight loss shakes, you can find in the shops or on the internet. They will give you a profund understanding of the different kinds of weight loss and nutrition shakes, of what to look for if you want to lose weight, if you want to build muscles, or if you want to do both! You will learn why protein is so great for weight loss, learn how to read the labels, and how you find the weight loss shakes, that fits your goal and your way of life.
Benefits Of Weight Loss Shakes
Shakes are one of the most popular diet products on the market, and this is due to the fact that they offer many benefits that make eating properly and living a healthy lifestyle much easier, convenient, and more affordable.
- 1.Replacing one or two meals a day with shakes can help reduce your calorie intake, which can lead to weight loss, especially when paired with an exercise program. And, since they come with a serving size scoop or in ready-to-drink cans, the calorie counting has already been done for you, so you know your totals are accurate.
- 2.Shakes are a good source of vitamins and minerals, making it easy for you to stay on track without compromising nutritional needs.
- 3.Liquids are absorbed more quickly and easily by the body than whole foods, allowing you to get maximum benefits from vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber.
- 4.Meal replacement shakes are very convenient. They are a practical and healthy solution for a busy day, and will help you resist high calorie snacks or fast foods.
- 5.Shakes come in a variety of flavors so you will not become bored. You can even throw a couple of scoops into a blender and add your own ingredients to make the shakes more interesting. If you look forward to drinking it, you are more likely to stick to it.
- 6.Many shakes contain active ingredients called Lecithin, L-cartitine, and Inositol, which are known to help in effective fat elimination, stimulating the breakdown and burning of fat, increasing metabolism, and regulating blood glucose levels.
- 7.In addition to vitamins, minerals, and fat burning additives, shakes also contain fiber, which not only increases metabolism, but also aids in detoxification (a major cause of weight loss difficulty) and will make you feel full longer so you are less likely to sneak a hand full of those high calorie munchies. Again, make sure that you choose a shake with a decent fiber content as well as the right amount of calories and carbs, especially if you are using it as a meal replacement, or you will get hungry and be more tempted to binge eat.
- 8.Shakes are inexpensive, especially when compared to other diet products. In fact, a meal replacement drink is usually less costly than a typical meal.
Why Not Just take Any Diet Shake Product?:
With the growing number of overweight people, it seems as if every weight loss organization, supplement company, and exercise guru has joined the fight against obesity by introducing their own line of diet products that are guaranteed to do everything from helping to cleanse the body of toxins to building muscles, providing energy, and miraculously melting away unwanted pounds.
While many of these products work, and some don’t, wading your way through the pile of available options can be overwhelming – and probably more work than an actual workout. So, if you have decided that you want to lose weight by using or making your own weight shakes, or you want to maintain your current weight by using shakes, then the first step is to figure out what diet shakes will meet your needs and help you get the results you want.
Knowledge is power, and also the best way to lose weight!
So, knowledge is power. If you realize what your body needs, know how to read labels, and understand how each ingredient will affect your weight loss goals, then you will be better equipped to make the best and most informed decisions.
It might seem like a lot of trouble, but then again: This site is meant to help you overcome these troubles finding the weight loss shakes that are the best for you!
No need to throw money after something that does’t even work!
After all, you don’t want to waste your hard earned money on something that doesn’t work. One of the biggest complaints among dieters is that they have spent hundreds – and even thousands – of dollars on products that simply did not deliver on their promises. But, sometimes, it is not the products fault. If weight loss shakes are not used correctly, they really can’t be blamed for being ineffective. For example, if you are using a “high protein weight loss shake” like it is a “low fat fruit smoothie” then it is a good possibility that you won’t be seeing those pounds disappearing. Is this because you can’t lose weight drinking protein shakes? No, in fact protein supplements are one of the best ways to shed those pesky pounds. They just have to be incorporated into your diet differently than fruit smoothies.
Types Of Weight Loss Shakes
There is a wide variety of weight loss and nutrition shakes on the market today, and understanding the differences between each kind is important when making a decision on which one is best for your diet plan and lifestyle.
Meal Replacement Shakes: As their name implies, these shakes are designed to replace a meal. That means they are usually quite high in calories, carbohydrates, and protein, although the fat content is generally low. They are often fortified with vitamins, minerals, and other essential nutrients to provide a balanced formula that will give you all the nutrition of a complete, healthy meal. So, these meal replacement shakes are good to use, if they actually replace a whole meal. They give you what you the nutrition you need, and at the same time they do not give you a lot of fat. They can not necesseraly be used as weight loss shakes, but they do help, if the meal they substitute would have been a meal with a lot more fat and more calories – like the fast food meal you would by, because you are in a hurry! And – you should only use a meal replacement shake for replacing on or two meals a day.
Low Carb Shakes: These are lower in total carbohydrates and may also have fewer calories than typical meal replacement shakes. They are generally used for those on the Atkins diet program or for people who will be using them as a snack or supplement to a well-balanced meal plan. For the most part (unless you are following Atkins), these are not advisable as a meal replacement as they do not contain enough carbohydrates and calories to provide sufficient energy, but they can be very good as weight loss shakes, as long as you otherwise get the nutrition you need. And of course, as I mentioned, as Atkins shakes.
Protein Shakes: Depending on the company, these are sometimes referred to as Weight Loss Protein Shakes. And, here is where the confusion comes in.Yes, protein shakes can most definitely help you lose weight, but they can also cause the exact opposite to happen. It all depends on which one you choose and how you use it. Some are very high in calories and carbs because they are designed to help build muscle and maintain an intense exercise program. While others are low in calories, fat, and carbs and can be used alone or as a base for a homemade shake, and are mainly meant to be used, if you want to lose weight. So only this kind of protein shakes can be used as weight loss shakes.
Also, it is important to note that while all meal replacement shakes contain protein, not all protein shakes are meal replacements. To be considered a meal replacement, the shake must have balanced nutrition. Many protein powders or supplement shakes offer protein only, or may include some other beneficial additives, but do not have the proper ratio of carbohydrates, protein, and calories to be considered sufficient to replace a meal.
In other words, there is a difference between meal replacement shakes and protein drinks. One is designed with balanced nutrition and a wide variety of vitamins and minerals to replace a complete meal, while the other is a complement to a healthy diet plan. Meal replacement shakes typically contain 200-400 calories, whereas protein shakes usually have less than 200, with many being less than 100 calories per serving. Both are specially formulated for weight loss or maintenance, but must be used according to directions or the results may be disappointing.
Ready-to-drink Weight Loss Shakes: Many companies that offer powdered shake mix also have a ready-to-drink option that is easy and convenient for a busy lifestyle. These shakes come pre-packaged in cans or drink sized boxes and are available in a variety of flavors and mixtures. Be sure to read both the ingredients and nutritional information because calories, fat, carbohydrates, and protein content can vary widely between brands as well.
Consider your Lifestile and Choose the Kind of Weight Loss Shake that Suits it
As mentioned, not all shakes are created equal; nor, should they be. We are all different – with varying lifestyles, goals, preferences, and body types. So, it is important that you choose the shake that is best for you. For example, if you are usually too busy to eat lunch, you may prefer to grab a quick and easy meal replacement shake.
However, if you generally join your colleagues or coworkers at a local cafe, then you may want to order a simple garden salad and then supplement with low carb/low fat weight loss shakes once you return to the office.
Any type of shake can be a great addition to a well balance lifestyle and diet, but to get the best effects, you must know what to look for and choose the one that will work for you.
What to look for in a Weight Loss Shake
As mentioned, there are so many diet shakes available that it is difficult to know which ones are both healthy and effective. There are a lot of companies that sell weight loss shakes that really work but contain ingredients that can be detrimental to your health, causing high blood pressure, accelerated heart rate, or excess strain on the kidneys and liver. Similarly, there are several brands that promise to include only pure, organic ingredients, but their products are ineffective in bringing the desired weight loss.
So, how do you know which weight loss shakes to choose? Looking at the ingredients is a good first step, but this can also be confusing since many companies only list scientific names – meaning the ingredient list is full of items that are 40 letters long and you wouldn’t have a clue what they were even if you could pronounce them. Many of these complex ingredients are very beneficial, but unless you know exactly what you are looking for it can make separating the good from the bad very difficult.
Here are a few things you can do to make sure you are getting the best weight loss shakes for your money:
- i.Research the company. Does the company have a good reputation for standing behind their products? Do they use additives, preservatives, or artificial flavoring and coloring? Are they honest about their ingredients and does their advertising accurately represent their product? Unfortunately, many brands will advertise their product as “all natural” or “healthy” when in fact, the shakes contain inferior ingredients, hydrogenated oils, and dangerous chemicals. Some companies genuinely care about creating a quality product while others only care about increasing their profits. If the manufacturer uses wholesome ingredients with beneficial health effects, then you know that they are probably a company that you can trust. As this is rather hard work, you might want to go on to the next point.
- ii.Check the reviews and ask other people who use the weight loss shakes.The best way to get honest feedback is to ask those who are using, or have used, the particular brand of diet shake you are considering. If they have seen great results and give good recommendations then you know that it is probably worth the money.Also, since no product is perfect, you will be able to discover the pros and cons of each diet shake so that you have reasonable expectations from the beginning. For example, customers may report that a particular shake is very effective at helping with weight loss but tastes terrible. Now, you can decide if you are willing to sacrifice taste for weight loss shakes that works or if you know that it will be a waste of money because you are not likely use something that doesn’t please your palate. On the other hand, consumers may say that a diet shake tastes so delicious it is like drinking a milkshake, but an hour later you are hungry again. This could be an important factor for choosing which weight loss shakes to buy. Weight loss is a lot easier when your stomach isn’t begging for food, right?
- iii.Read the nutritional information.It is important that you choose weight loss shakes that contain the necessary nutrients to fit your diet program and help you meet your goals. If you are using the diet shake as a meal replacement, make sure that it contains at least 200 calories and enough carbs to give you energy. (Of course, the exception to this would be those following the Atkins diet as this program is based on carbohydrate restriction.) However, you don’t want to give your body more carbs than it needs or you will begin storing the excess as fat.You also want to be sure to choose weight loss shakes that have low sugar and fat content. Too much sugar or too few calories can leave you feeling hungry and lead to binge eating, and high fat can limit weight loss. – It should be noted that when reading labels, carbohydrate content can be confusing and you must be careful or you could actually be consuming more carbs than you think. Some products will say something like “only 3impact carbs” or “contains only 2 Net carbs”. Basically, it is thought by some that carbohydrates that do not effect blood sugar levels are non-effective and should not actually count as carbs when considering weight loss outcomes. So, carbs that come from fiber, glycerin, or sugar alcohols such as maltitol or sorbitol are considered “non-impact” or “non-effective” and are, therefore, subtracted from the total carbs. The remaining carbs – the ones that do effect blood sugar levels – are referred to as “impact” or “net” carbs. This practice has become somewhat controversial since many believe that simply ignoring carbohydrates does not make them go away and certainly doesn’t make them “ineffective” when it comes to weight loss or gain. And, if you are diabetic or have other health issues where very strict eating is important, these numbers could definitely make a difference.So, when reading the label, don’t believe the sales pitch on the front, but check out the nutritional information to find the “total carbs” so you know exactly what you are getting.
- iv.Compare brands. Compare calories, fat, protein, carbohydrates, and sugar in the weight loss shakes. Some brands may have the right amount of protein that you are looking for, but contain high levels of sugar or fat. With so many options available, you can find exactly what you want for your needs and goals. It may take a little bit of time and investigation, but you will find the formulation that works for you.
- v.Consider protein source. Protein can be a very complex topic, but it is important to understand the basics so you can choose the right kind of weight loss shakes for your purposes. Unfortunately, protein is not simply protein. In fact, there are so many kinds it can leave you dizzy. So, here is a brief synopsis that will hopefully clear the confusion and help you when shopping for the best weight loss shake.Basically, proteins are nitrogenous compounds (meaning they contain nitrogen) that consist of molecules called amino acids. Essentially, amino acids are the building blocks of every living cell, so protein is important for the health of your heart, brain, nails, hair, skin, and all other organs and systems within your body.
Why Protein is so Great for Weight Loss
As for weight loss, protein stimulates the production of the hormone glucagon which encourages the body to burn fat as energy, temporarily boosting metabolism and suppressing appetite. And, because proteins take more work to digest and metabolize, they require more calories to process.
Now, most of us have been told at some point in our lives that muscle burns more calories than fat. Well, this is actually true – at least to a certain extent. A little bit of toning from walking on the treadmill is not likely to tip the fat burning scale, but complementing your diet with a some resistance training will help you build some quality muscle that can be a great weight loss booster.
Want to lose weight, even when you rest on the couch? Protein will help you do that.
Just as a side note, cardiovascular activity burns calories while you are working out, but muscle training provides continuous benefits, because muscles use more energy – even at rest – than fat. Wouldn’t you love to know that you are burning off those calories even when you are lounging by the pool or watching television? And, one of the best ways to promote lean muscle growth (besides the actual working out part, of course) is to increase protein intake. So, as I said before, protein is a great weight loss tool, as long as it is used properly. And, as an added bonus, protein has also been found to decrease cholesterol levels, lower blood sugar, improve insulin sensitivity, and make you feel full longer
Types Of Weight Loss Shakes
When it Comes to Weight Loss Shakes, there are Four Basic Types of Protein Most Commonly Used: Soy, Whey, Milk Concentrate, and Casein.
Whey Protein: This kind of protein is a derivative of milk leftover from the cheese making process. It is fast absorbing and high in branch-chain amino acids (the kind that are metabolized in the muscles rather than the liver)so it is great for muscle growth and repair as well as for boosting immunity and improving cardiovascular health.
Whey protein is available both as a concentrate and an isolate. Basically, the difference is in the percentage of protein per serving. Whey protein isolate is very pure, containing less than 1% lactose and about 90%-98% protein per serving. However, since it is so highly filtered, some of the immunity boosting properties are lost. Whey protein concentrate is much easier and more economical to produce. It contains about 4% lactose and a protein content ranging from 29%-89% per serving; however, it also has more of the immunity enhancing abilities than the isolate version.
Pros and cons? Well, whey protein concentrate is more reasonable to purchase and is better for your immunity, but does contain a higher fat level and lower protein content. Whey protein isolate, on the other hand, is more costly, but you will be consuming less fat while getting more protein per serving.
Soy Protein: Like whey protein, soy protein is available in both isolate and concentrate. To make soy protein concentrate, manufacturers remove the majority of the fat from the soybeans to form soy meal. Any non-protein, water-soluble compounds are also removed, leaving only the protein and a portion of the carbs behind. Soy isolate is even further refined, removing virtually all the carbs, leaving only pure soy protein. Soy concentrate contains about 65% protein and a higher carb content, whereas soy isolate contains 90% protein and a lower carb content per serving.
Now, soy has been the subject of much controversy over the years, so it is important to understand both the claimed benefits and risks before deciding on a product that contains this protein. Many studies have shown that soy can reduce body fat as well as cholesterol and triglyceride levels. In fact, much research has found that eating soy can decrease abdominal fat in post menopausal women because of its ability to affect the hormone, estrogen. It has also been linked to improved metabolism of essential fatty acids and the reduction of insulin resistance, which can have a strong impact on both weight loss and weight maintenance. Since soy is plant based, it is a good choice for vegetarians; however, next to peanuts, it is the most allergenic food, so be careful when introducing soy to your diet for the first time.
Unfortunately, despite all these great benefits, soy is also accompanied by many warnings, some of which are still being studied. Many doctors state that if you are pregnant, or trying to conceive, you should avoid soy because it can inhibit fertility and cause reproductive related birth defects. As mentioned, it can impact the effects of estrogen on the body, which may be great for post-menopausal women, but not so beneficial for adolescents, young women, or men. The evidence is still inconclusive as to whether soy is responsible for hormone induced cancers such as breast cancer, although some links are quite strong. As an additional warning, many doctors state that it can also interfere with several medications and hinder the absorption of some prescription drugs. So, while soy offers many benefits, it is a good idea to check with your doctor before taking it in large amounts with your weight loss shakes.
Casein Protein: This is a slow absorbing protein found in milk. This appeals to many people because the amino acids are released slowly into the bloodstream over the period of several hours, allowing the body to use it more efficiently. The main argument is that casein protein is so processed that, depending on the manufacturer, it could have very little benefit.
Milk Protein Concentrate: A process called ultrafiltration is used to separate whey and casein proteins from the other components of skim milk. The whey and casein molecules are then spray dried and evaporated to turn them into a powder that can be used in the making of food products. If you have dairy allergies, keep in mind that the higher the protein content, the lower the lactose content. With the right balance, milk protein concentrate is a great high protein/low carb protein source.
How Much Protein Do I Need For Weight Loss?
If you read the protein content on most diet or weight loss shakes you will notice that it varies from 5 grams to a 45 grams per serving. Which one you choose will depend on how much protein you are getting from other aspects of your diet, but it is important to make sure that you are getting enough to ensure weight loss. So, how much do you need?
Generally, the target is to consume about 3/4 of your ideal body weight in protein per day. So, if you want to weight 150 pounds, then you would need to eat between 112-130 grams of protein everyday. To keep it easy, some weight loss experts say that women should aim for a minimum of 100 grams, while men would do better to reach 150 grams.
Keep in mind that while eating enough protein is essential to weight loss, excessive consumption can also be detrimental to your health, causing undue stress on the kidneys. Also, protein does contain calories, so the goal is to eat enough that your keep your metabolism working and your muscles growing, but not so much that you overwork your kidneys or actually gain weight.
Tips To Improve the Effectiveness of Weight Loss Shakes
The fact is, you can buy the best shakes on the market, but if you do not follow up with the right steps, you will not get the results you are hoping to see.
- i.Do not replace more than two meals a day with shakes. Relying on them totally for long periods of time can cause you to miss out on the benefits offered by whole foods. Besides, food tastes good and should be enjoyed, right? Food is not your enemy – as long as it fits into a balanced diet, it can actually be your friend.
- ii.Supplement with the right foods. Even though eating should be savoured, make sure that it complements your weight loss program. Whether eating it whole or adding it to your shake, you don’t want to defeat your efforts by making poor choices. Low fat milk, fresh fruits and vegetables, or a small handful of nuts or seeds are great options that will not compromise your chance for success.
- iii.Use meal replacements instead of eating out on busy days. Whether running errands or keeping appointments, it is very easy to lose track of time and then take a quick trip through the nearest drive-thru to satisfy your growling stomach. Why not keep a ready-to-drink shake in your car or desk so you can fill your need without all the guilt.
- iv.Use meal replacement shakes in place of the meals that you find the most difficult to prepare. If you prefer to skip breakfast in exchange for an extra few minutes sleep, then grab a shake for your morning meal. Or, if cooking dinner after a busy day is troublesome and often results in you ordering pizza or take-out, then complement a shake with a tasty side salad. Not only will you be sticking to your weight loss plan, but you will save a lot of money, too.
- v.Choose a shake that fits your goals and lifestyle. If weight loss is your only goal, look at the overall balance of carbs, sugars, proteins, and fiber so you can find one that will keep you feeling full while restricting calories. If your goal is to improve your body through exercise and resistance training, then you will want to choose a shake that contains high protein and muscle recovery components. Or, if you enjoy cooking and simply want to use the shake as a supplement or snack, then you will want to look for a product that has low carbs and calories but plenty of fiber, protein, and fat burning nutrients. To get the results you want, you must use a product that is designed to provide what you are looking for.
- vi.Add exercise to your weight loss program. Protein works together with exercise to help build your muscles and turn your body into a fat burning machine. And, a little bit of activity will work off those calories and give you more energy.
Juicing for Weight Loss
Juicing, like weight loss shakes, is growing in popularity as a healthy way to lose weight and purify the body of toxins that make it difficult to shed those extra pounds. In fact, there are manyweight loss shakes that could actually receive equal status to juicing since they contain several fruits, veggies, and wholesome ingredients that improve health and stimulate metabolism. So, although juicing provides many benefits, why not combine the two and see what creations you can come up with
Benefits of Juicing:
- i.It can provide a lot of nutrients that your body needs for healing, repair, cell regeneration, and strong immunity.
- ii.Juicing often unlocks nutrients that would normally remain trapped in food and unused by the body.
iii.Juicing uses raw foods which is the most nutritious way to eat. Cooking often kills many vitamins and digestive enzymes, whereas juicing allows these nutrients to stay intact and active.
- iv.Pure, fresh juice detoxifies the body and helps stimulate the elimination of fats, preservatives, chemicals, and other toxins left by processed foods and sugars.
- v.Fresh juice provides energy and will make you feel better so that you will be less tempted to eat high sugar foods, and more motivated to exercise.
- vi.Juice is readily digested and easily absorbed by the body so you get maximum nutrition. And, since you can usually juice the whole food – including skin and seeds – you will be getting all the benefits the food has to offer.
- vii.Juice makes an excellent and nutritious snack that is filling yet low fat.
- viii.Juicing allows you to mix a wide variety of veggies and fruits. In fact, you may even be able to try things that you wouldn’t eat on their own.
As you can see, juicing provides many of the same benefits offered by weight loss shakes, and should be part of your diet program. Or, as mentioned, add some fruits and veggies to your shake mix and enjoy the workings of your creativity.
Best Diet Shakes
When deciding what diet shake to use, keep in mind that the best weight loss shakes will:
i.Provide you with all the nutrition that you need for a meal replacement, if that is your reason for using the shake.
ii.Give you energy and make you feel good.
iii.Make you feel full so you are not tempted to binge or cheat.
iv.Help you achieve your weight loss or fitness goals.
vi.Taste good, or at least be palatable.
vii.Give you a variety of flavors so you can keep your meal plan interesting.
Here is a comparison of some of the most popular brands:
Slim Fast 3-2-1: This product of weight loss shakes contains about 132 calories per serving, 15 grams of protein if prepared with 2% milk (powder has 5.2 on its own), 22 grams of carbohydrates, and 2.4 grams of fat, with the first four ingredients being skim milk, sugar, fructose, and whey protein (soy protein isolate is further down the list). Despite sugar being included, these weight loss shakes also has acesulfame potasium and sucralose.
The ready-to-drink options contain 256 calories, 13 grams of protein, 39 grams of carbohydrates, 33 sugars, and 5.3 grams of fat, with the first four ingredients being water, skim milk powder, sugar and fructose.
Protein source is from milk protein concentrate, whey protein, and soy protein isolate.
Medifast: This product contains about 90 calories, 11 grams of protein, 13 grams of carbohydrates, including fructose, oat fiber, corn syrup solids, maltodextrin, and sweet dairy whey. Medifast shakes have only 1 gram of fat with no saturated or trans fats, but are sweetened with acesulfame potassium, an artificial sweetener. The first four ingredients listed are soy protein isolate, fructose, milk protein isolate, and oat fiber.
Protein source is soy protein isolate and milk protein concentrate.
Atkins Shakes: These weight loss shakes have 150 calories, 15 grams of protein, 5 carbohydrates, 4 grams of fiber, 1 sugar, and 9 grams of fat including 3.5 grams of saturated fat from cream and sunflower oil. The first four ingredients listed are water, milk protein concentrate, high oleic sunflower oil, and soy protein isolate. Atkins shakes are sweetened with acesulfame potassium.
Protein source is milk protein concentrate, soy protein isolate, and calcium casseinate.
Myoplex Low Carb Shakes: This brand of weight loss shakes contains 150 calories per serving with 25 grams of protein, 3 grams of fiber, 5 impact carbohydrates, and 3.5 grams of fat. The first four ingredients are filtered water, MyoPro Protein blend (whey protein concentrate, calcium casseinate, milk protein isolate, whey protein isolate, egg albumin), high oleic sunflower oil, vitamin and mineral blend.
This product is sweetened with sucralose and acesulfame potassium. It is an ideal choice for those on a high protein/low carb diet, but you may need to eat something with it due to its low calorie count.
Protein source is whey protein concentrate and isolate, milk protein isolate, calcium casseinate, and egg albumin.
NOTE: All the above brands pf weight loss shakes contain similar nutrition including 24 essential vitamins and minerals.
Lean Body: This shake is considered to be a high protein meal replacement and is ideal for those with intense workout schedules. It contains 330 calories, 45 grams of protein, 8 grams of fat, 7 sugars, and 24 grams of carbohydrates per serving. Also, it is made with no artificial colors or sweeteners. The first four ingredients are LeanPro Protein blend, EFA Plex (sunflower oil, creamer), MCT oil, and flaxseed oil.
Protein source is whey protein concentrate and isolate, soy protein isolate, and milk protein isolate.
In addition to the 24 vitamins and minerals included in the previous brands, this product offers many other beneficial ingredients such as omega-3 and 6 from flaxseed and borage oil; however, the high calorie and carbohydrate content makes it much more suited as a meal replacement rather than a snack or supplement.
Shakeology: Praised as one of the best products on the market, these shakes contain 150 calories, 18 grams of protein, 17 grams of carbohydrates, 1 gram of fat, and 9 sugars. They also include a superfood and probiotic blend of plants, nuts, herbs and fruits that the company claims will help you lose weight, gain energy, improve digestion, and lower cholesterol. The shakes are sweetened with fructose and stevia. It is difficult to determine the top four ingredients (based on quantity) as the company lists their items according to blends/mixtures rather than order of amounts.
Protein source is whey protein isolate.
Greens+: Also considered to be one of the top producers of health care products, weight loss shakes from this company contain 110 calories, 1.8 grams of carbohydrates, 25 grams of protein, and 0.2 grams of fat, with the first three ingredients being whey protein isolate, enzyme blend, and stevia. These are the only three ingredients listed on the label. This product claims it will “increase lean muscle for weight and fat loss”; however, it should be used as a supplement rather than a meal replacement unless other ingredients are added. The low carb and fat content make it a perfect choice for homemadeweight loss shakes because you have a lot of freedom when adding your own items.
Protein source is whey protein isolate.
Weight Loss Shake Recipes
The best weight loss shakes are in a way the ones you make yourself. They are less costly, you know what goes into them, and you can be creative. In fact, the possibilities are only limited by your imagination. Begin with a basic recipe and add whatever appeals to you at the time, or try something completely different. You never know, you just might create the next big diet craze. It takes time, but you can combine it with bying diet shakes once a day, and in this way get the best of two worlds.
BASIC FRUIT SHAKE:
1/2 cup skim milk or water
1/2 cup fat free yogurt (preferably plain, but the fruit kind is fine)
1 serving of protein powder (your flavor of choice)
1 cup berries (frozen or fresh)
3-4 ice cubes (may need less if using frozen fruit)
Mix in blender until ice is crushed and fruit is pureed.
VARIATIONS: Experiment with different fruits such as watermelon, mango, blueberries, pineapple, apples, oranges, strawberries, or cranberries. Change up the flavor of protein powder to add a little variety to your shake, or replace the milk with low fat frozen yogurt.
PEANUT BUTTER AND BANANA SHAKE:
1/2 cup skim milk or water
1 serving chocolate flavored protein powder
1 tbsp peanut butter (smooth or crunchy)
1 tbsp ground flax
3-4 ice cubes
Mix together in a blender
VARIATIONS: Try using vanilla flavored protein powder and add 2 tbsp of sugar free instant butterscotch pudding.
APPLE CINNAMON TREAT:
2 cups applesauce (unsweetened)
1 apple, chopped
1/2 cup carrot juice or 2 carrots, chopped
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp pure maple syrup or manuka honey
2 cups skim milk
1/4 cup All Bran cereal
1/4 tsp cinnamon (optional)
1 serving vanilla flavored protein powder (or non-flavored)
VARIATIONS: Replace All-Bran cereal with 3 tablespoons of uncooked oatmeal and 2 tsp of pure maple syrup. Or, try adding other fruits such as strawberries or blueberries.
COFFEE WEIGHT LOSS SHAKES:
2 cups low fat milk
1/4 cup brewed coffee, cooled
1 serving chocolate flavored protein
VARIATIONS: If you are using this as a snack instead of a meal replacement, add a tbsp of fat free chocolate syrup in place of the protein powder. Or, for a dessert shake, use vanilla frozen yogurt instead of milk, add flavored coffee such as hazelnut or Irish cream, and mix with crushed ice. For a quick option, a teaspoon of instant coffee (flavored or unflavored) will work as well, but you may need to add a little extra milk or water.
GREEN TEA WEIGHT LOSS SHAKES:
1-2 cups brewed green tea, cooled
1/2 cup low fat or fat free vanilla yogurt
1/2 cup peaches (frozen or fresh)
1 serving vanilla or strawberry flavored protein powder
Mix in blender until fruit is pureed. Add 3-4 ice cubes if desired.
WEIGHT LOSS JUICE RECIPE:
1 stalk celery
1/2 cup chopped cabbage
VARIATIONS: Make green weight loss shakes by adding spinach, parsley, bok choy, asparagus, broccoli, lettuce, or string beans. Add a little zip with a few radishes, cranberries, or some ginger root. Or, spice it up with cayenne, cinnamon, or pepper, all known for improving health and boosting metabolism.
Add nutrition and fiber to any shake by including a tsp-tbsp of psyllium husks, ground flax or flax seeds, or liquid egg whites. Or add 1/4 cup of oat bran or granola. And you will have made some great weight loss shakes!
Make something you have never tried before or experiment with new ingredients to see what pleases your palate. Of course, all meal replacement shakes can be converted to snacks or become additions to a simple meal by removing the protein powder. After all, a fruit smoothie will taste great all on its own, right?